Monday, July 23, 2012

Be A Superhero!

You are needed for a superhero task. Literally. But don't be alarmed. It is easier to be a superhero than you thought. Two of my rabbinical school classmates, Phyllis and Michael Sommer, recently learned that their son, Sam, has leukemia. Phyllis keeps a blog and has asked for our help. She wrote this:
  Send me your photos (I'll print them out and send along with my own - to be posted soon).
As I put Sam to bed on Friday night, I sang Debbie [Friedman's] Mi Sheberach, a prayer for healing.The conversation afterward went something like this:
Me: Do you know how many temples there are like ours around the country?
Sam: Um...a thousand?
Me: (impressed) okay, that sounds like a good number. Do you realize that at, say, 500 of those, people said "Sammy Sommer" tonight when they sang that prayer?
Sam: Wait, you mean when you go like this? (and he held out his hand just like I do when I ask for names for healing) And people say names?
Me: Yep.Same: I don't believe you. That is too many people.
Me: Ah, but you're wrong.
Sam: We don't have friends in 500 places.
ME: Wanna bet?

Each day, I get emails and texts and Facebook posts and tweets. Sam doesn't quite get the volume of people who inhabit my phone. I want to show him.
If you want to help me show Sam how many people are on his team, so he can feel the love:
Take a photograph of yourself wearing your favorite superhero shirt 
(or holding up their logo...or just smiling!)

 
We will hang all the pictures on Sam's wall...Team Superman Sam!

No comments:

Post a Comment