Monday, November 19, 2012

Rabbi Roos on Standing with Israel

Sinai members are concerned about Israel, escalating violence in the Middle East and its implications for everyone in the region. Many have asked questions and sought a way to express their feelings through the temple community. Most are simply confused or unable to express exactly what's on their mind. It's complicated.

I want you to know a few things about Sinai standing with Israel. These are my views but I believe they represent the general perspective of our temple. I believe that a Jewish homeland in the place of our biblical ancestors is a fundamental principle of Jewish religion and culture. I embrace and support the State of Israel as that Jewish homeland. I believe in peace and the safety of all people. I also believe in the right to self defense and recognize that Israel's military operation in Gaza was only launched in response to hundreds of rockets sent against innocent Israeli citizens over a period of many months. While I believe that the Israeli action against Hamas in Gaza is justified, I will not celebrate it or think it is anything other than tragic. Over the next days or weeks, I will write more about the ongoing operation and what it means for us to stand with Israel. Other members of the clergy will also voice their opinions, which may differ from mine. We invite your input and feedback along with your questions.

In the meantime, here are some internet sources for those who seek more information:

Three leading English language Israeli newspaper websites:
www.haaretz.com
www.jpost.com
www.ynetnews.com

You can follow the Twitter feed of the Israeli Defense Forces @IDFSpokesperson

You can check out Al-Jazeera's English language page for a perspective from the Arab world:
www.aljazeeraenglish.com

No comments:

Post a Comment